I have briefly mentioned in the past my struggles with depression. It had gone away for quite awhile, I was happy for such a long time! And then those pesky dark feelings came back and overwhelmed me when we moved here (BIG changes!). I’ve been slowly, but surely working my way towards a happier me. Somedays are tougher than others. I racked my brain trying to think of ways to stay positive and be happy. Here are some things I have been doing that help:
1) Exercise (I actually LOVE exercise and get a ton, but if you aren’t a big fan, even something as simple as taking a short walk each day will go a long ways in boosting your emotional health)
2) Sleep (an average of 8 hours of z’s a night really helps!)
3) Nutrition (you are what you eat! lots of fruits, veggies, grains & protein with the occasional treat is good)
4) Routine (for me personally, I find routine helps me stay on track with things including emotional health)
5) Support (talk with friends & family about things)
6) “Me” time (a bath, reading, watching a movie, whatever makes you relax & feel good)
7) Journal (write it out! vent away or just write about whatever you want, just for you)
8) Furry companion (most recently, at the peak of my depression, I had a professional recommend I get a dog – honestly, best thing I ever did! I love my fluffy furball, she is a ball of sunshine to me)
9) Laugh (the best medicine right??)
10) Challenge yourself to a 100 days of happiness!
That’s right, we can do it together =) I started yesterday (May 25, 2014). It’s easy-peasy. Just take a picture of something each & every day that makes you happy for the next 100 days. Though that sounds a little daunting, it is quick. Think about how many pictures you probably take each day anyway.
Check out this link to learn more & sign up.
Instead of spamming you with a post every day for 3+ months, I will post once a week with a roundup of pictures from the previous week. This will either be my Monday post, or I may add it in some weeks in addition to my Monday post.
Here was my day #1:
Taking Sunny to the dog park =D
What makes you happy?